R. Kelly’s last tour brought the singer a lot of drama Ã¢â‚¬â€ from Ne-Yo’s jumping on and then off, resulting in a lawsuit and the whole mess over how much money he was owed for touring in the first place, to R’s nearly being arrested over a tour-bus delay that made him late to court.
But on Monday (October 6), that issue was settled when an independent arbitrator awarded Kells $3.4 million in back pay for performances on the Double Up Tour last fall and winter. The singer initiated legal action back in February against Rowe Entertainment while he was still on tour. Kelly completed the tour while the payment dispute was still ongoing.
“I agreed to let Leonard Rowe promote my tour because he convinced me he was an underdog who deserved a chance to prove himself,” Kelly said in a statement. “Like the saying goes, ‘No good deed goes unpunished.’ ”
Kelly’s lawyers filed a petition in Los Angeles Superior Court on Monday to confirm the arbitration award of $3,397,410.38. Arbitrator Richard P. Byrne, a retired Superior Court judge, also determined that Rowe had sold off nonexistent shares in Kelly’s shows without the singer’s knowledge or permission and held Rowe responsible for the resulting lawsuits from investors.
For instance, Rowe and Kelly had been sued by Milton Kenneth Peacock in April, who claimed Rowe sold him shares in three of the dates on the Double Up Tour in late December and early January in return for a cash investment of $440,000. In his lawsuit, Peacock claimed Rowe had promised him half the profits, but then told him that the concerts had lost money and there were no profits. Peacock called this “false accounting.” Kelly distanced himself from this and other lawsuits with similar claims.
“I have complete sympathy for all the good people who were swindled by Rowe,” Kelly said in a statement, “and I will do everything I can to help them get their money back from him.”